Courtesy of the ESSWE mailing list, a Call For Papers for the
RUSSIAN CHRISTIAN ACADEMY FOR HUMANITIES (ST. PETERSBURG) FACULTY OF PHILOSOPHY, THEOLOGY AND RELIGIOUS STUDIES, DEPARTMENT OF RELIGIOUS STUDIES, ASSOCIATION FOR THE STUDY OF ESOTERICISM AND MYSTICISM, RESEARCH CENTRE FOR MYSTICISM AND ESOTERICISM (ST. PETERSBURG)
Second Call for Papers
with the support of THE EUROPEAN SOCIETY FOR THE STUDY OF WESTERN ESOTERICISM (ESSWE)
EIGHTH INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE
March 24-26, 2016, Saint Petersburg (Russia)
The changes which took place due to technical progress, always touched mystic and esoteric movements also. The influence of technology manifests itself on many levels: the change in material culture of mystic and esoteric movements, the change in forms of communication and social organization of esotericists, the transformation of esoteric practices and last but not least, the change in the esoteric and mystical teachings by bringing technological metaphors into them.
Using various methodologies, participants of the conference will try to understand the interaction of technologies and the mystic-esoteric movements, as observed in the past and in the present. Historians, researchers of culture and religion, philosophers, psychologists, literary scholars, the representatives of scientific knowledge, all those who involves the subject of esotericism and mysticism in their studies are invited to participate in the conference.
Approximate headings of topics:
- the impact of the technological progress on the teachings of esoteric groups;
- the impact of mystic and esoteric teachings on the world of technologies;
- the impact of technologies on the formation and modification of esoteric practices;
- information technologies and new forms of communication in the esoteric community and in the representation of esoteric groups;
- the impact of technology on the material culture of the mystic-esoteric movements;
- the history of interaction of technologies and mystic-esoteric teachings;
- mysticism and esotericism in the Internet;
- general aspects of studies for transformations of esotericism and mysticism in the modern world.
Conference languages are Russian & English
Applications for the conference are to be sent to the address of the organizing committee firstname.lastname@example.org by 10 January 2016. We kindly request to fill in the forms in the following manner:
- Full name:
- Date of birth:
- Academic degree:
- Home address:
- Place of work / study:
- Current affiliation:
- Contact phone:
- Need of an official invitation to receive a private (humanitarian) visa for the entry into the Russian Federation (yes/no):
- Need of technical equipment for your report presentation (yes (please, specify which equipment you need)/no):
- Paper title:
- Short paper abstract (approx. 200-300 words):
The applicant should enclose also his/her photo (up to 1 Mb).
The organizing committee reserves the right to request additional information from the applicant in order to clarify some of aspects of the application. The decision on the applications will be made within a week after the deadline via e-mail.
By the beginning of the conference we are planning to form and distribute among the authors of the papers a detailed program containing the data of the participants and summaries of their papers.
The best papers will be published in the conference proceedings after the conference.
The conference fee is 60 Euro for the participants, non-residents of Commonwealth of Independent States (CIS), who needs invitations for visas (in this case they must also send us the information about their working address, scanned form of the 1st page of the passport). The fee for those participants who plans to arrive into Russia by opening a simple tourist visa is 40 Euro. Corresponding fees for the ASEM members (non-residents of CIS) are 30 and 20 Euro. The fee is to be paid only upon the registration (March 24, 2016), not in advance.
The Organizing Committee.
Chairmen: Prof. Dr. Roman Svetlov (Saint Petersburg); Dr. Sergey Pakhomov (Saint Petersburg, Russia).
Members: Prof. Dr. Andreas Kilcher (Zurich, Switzerland); Prof. Dr. Mark Sedgwick (Aarhus, Denmark); Prof. Dr. Birgit Menzel (Mainz, Germany); Dr. Yuri Khalturin (Moscow, Russia); Dr. Yuri Rodichenkov (Vyazma, Russia); Stanislav Panin (Moscow, Russia).
Address of the Conference:
191023 Saint Petersburg, 15 Fontanka river embankment
(Naberezhnaya reki Fontanki)
Russian Christian Academy for Humanities, room 319
Phone: +7 921 3843029